As financial professionals assisting clients through retirement, we know that Alzheimer’s, dementia, and memory loss are ever-growing concerns of many families. If a loved one has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease or any other form of dementia, it can be a challenging time.
Through our work with clients, we’ve come across some products that can make a difference in the lives of patients and their caregivers. Here’s a short list of products that we’ve heard about over the years. Keep in mind that any products or companies mentioned are for illustrative purposes only. They should not be considered solicitations for the purchase or sale of securities. Any investment should be consistent with your objectives, timeframe, and risk tolerance.
Home Assistants and Smart Plugs Help Families Provide Care Remotely1
- Voice assistants or "home hubs" assist in making voice and video calls, allowing your family to drop into the room, detect movement, and automate or voice-activate lights and appliances. They can also help you get help, ask for information, or turn on entertainment. Amazon has invested in this area, including the Alexa Care Hub, to assist families with the care of loved ones remotely.
- Possible choices include Alexa Care Hub and Google Nest Hub Max.
Home Sensors and Movement Detection Can Alert Families to Defined Risks to Safety1
- Smart home products and sensors can assist in detecting movement or lack thereof, smoke, and open doors and windows. These can trigger notifications, alerts, alarms, or actions. Such devices can help maintain independence and manage risks.
- Possible choices include Philips Movement Detection and Eve Smart Home Sensors.
Entertainment Keeps Loved Ones Occupied, Stimulated, and Independent Longer1
- Many entertainment products are designed with cognitive issues in mind. They offer simplified, larger user interfaces and integrate visual and audio cues to help your loved ones keep busy, stimulate their senses, and stay connected. Some of our favorites include specially designed tablets and simplified music players/radios.
- Possible choices include Alexa Show, Grandpad Simplified 'Seniors' Tablet, Simple TV Remote, and Simple e-Reader and Music Player.
Please let us know if you are dealing with cognitive decline in any family member. Feel free to share this email with anyone you know who might benefit from some of these suggestions.